Thursday 30 December 2010

Another look at an old friend of mine.

Before the end of the year I wanted to take another look back at a great car I once had...


My good old Mr2 Turbo, I absolutely loved this car :D 




To give it its full name, it was a Mr2 Mk2 Rev3 Turbo, quite a title! 
I fell in love with this car the day I went up to see it in Bradford, a 5 hour trip which was definitely worth the effort! The color blew me away, I had to have it!




It was my first Japanese car, and I bought it when I was 19. 


It was also quite a considerable jump in power from my old SEAT 1.9TDI FR130bhp to this..... at the time that I bought it, the Mr2 was running standard bhp for a Rev3, which is around 250bhp. 




I'll be honest with you and tell you that I was afraid of what this car could do for a long time, and it wasn't until I took it on track and realised its potential and limits that I wasn't afraid anymore :)




The handling on these, well on a well setup one is no worse than any other car I've driven, as long as you know how to drive it properly, no excessive power changes mid corner, and if you go in fast, keep the power constant and you'll be fine, their reputation for being bad handling cars I feel is due to bad drivers getting their hands on one ;)








The owned this car for four years, attended so many shows with it, did multiple road trips, and a few track days, and it never ever let me down! Oh and including a session at the Nurburgring ;)






The only things that broke, broke because of old age, never through misuse, a credit to the car! Well the cambelt went one late night on a dual carriage way, but I can't hold that against it ;) also I have to sing its praises for that as its a non interference engine so therefore a snapped cambelt doesn't mean broken engine :) 






After years of ownership, the mod list was pretty extensive too, it ended up with various additions, boost controller, exhaust system, charge cooler setup, plenty of gauges to monitor it all, a set of white staggered TE37 Volk Racing wheels, and one of my favourite changes to the car was its interior, that received a full retrim to match the outside :)




The power output ended up being... well I'll let the dyno sheet show you :)




A fantastic car that was a joy to own and look after, I will miss it but as you know by now following my blog, I've replaced it with something that I feel is going to be pure awesome to live with and enjoy :)








Thank you for looking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment